I adapted this recipe from one given to me by Montri Rattanaraj, of Montriís Thai Restaurant in Vancouver. It is delicious and requires very few specialty ingredients. I found the fish sauce for this recipe at my local Safeway!
- 1 pound beef steak (I used a tri-tip bottom sirloin, but any cut that is suitable for grilling will suffice)
- 4 cups mixed salad greens (I use the fresh herb mix from Earthbound Farms)
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- 1 large tomato, cut in wedges
- ¼ cup sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup sliced thinly sliced red or green Thai chili peppers
- ¼ cup fish sauce (nam pla)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro, or mint, or Thai basil leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tsp. sugar
Season the beef with salt and pepper and grill or broil until medium rare. Slice thinly against the grain and set aside. Combine all the salad ingredients and top with the sliced beef. Mix together all the sauce ingredients and toss with the salad just before serving.